~ 1 Timothy 2:1-5 NLT
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Monday, May 28, 2012
Galatians 2:3 (NCV)
- HOW PERFECTIONISM HARMS
• IT DEFEATS MY INITIATIVE
Eccl. 11:4 (LB)
• IT DAMAGES MY RELATIONSHIPS
Prov. 17:9 (LB)
•IT DESTROYS MY HAPPINESS
Eccl. 7:16 (NNAS)
II. HOW TO R.E.L.A.X. IN GOD'S GRACE
1. REALIZE Nobody’s Perfect
Ps. 119:96 (LB)
2. ENJOY God’s Unconditional Love
1 John 3:1 (LB) / Romans 8:31 (NIV)
3. LET GOD Handle Things
1 Peter 5:7 (NIV) / Prov. 14:30 (LB)
4. ACT In Faith, not Fear
Eph. 2:8 (NIV) / Col. 2:6 (NIV)
5. EXCHANGE My Perfectionism for God’s Peace
Matt. 11:28-29 (Mes) / Heb. 12:15 (NCV)
Romans 5:15-20 The Message
Outrageous – Excessive, wildly exaggerated or improbable. exceeding the limits of what is usual, Being beyond all reason; extravagant, extraordinary, or immoderate
Spiritual Frustration we face when not understanding GRACE
(Romans 7:15 NLT) “I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate.”
• It distorts your view of God.
• You feel increasingly hopeless & frustrated
• You become discouraged & defensive.
• You have no joy or happiness.
• You begin to lose your life.
(Romans 6:12-14 NLT) “Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires. Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God... Sin is no longer your master... Instead, you live under the freedom of Godʼs grace.”
1. Outrageous Grace gives your credit for something you didn’t do
James 2:10 (NIV) – For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
Romans 3:21-30 / I John 4:10 / Romans 4:17-19 / I Corinthians 1:30
2. Outrageous that we can have PEACE with God
Romans 5:1 - Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
2 Corinthians 5:17 / Romans 8:1-4
Because of GRACE, God is not holding anything against anyone!
2 Corinthians 5:19
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Text: Psalms 145:8 - The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.
Quid Pro Quo (Latin) = Something for SomethingMeans something for something –something received or given in return for something else. We humans learn quickly that we must WORK for what we get in our world. We earn wages for services we render. Quid Pro Quo. We earn acceptance and approval by deeds we perform. Quid Pro Quo. People like and love us if we help them, serve them, and make them feel or look good. Quid Pro Quo
1. Outrageous Grace is completely unearned and undeserved. It’s not ours to earn, it’s God’s to give.
2. Outrageous Grace is that God chose to clean up what we messed up
1. Ephesians 2:7-9 NIV - in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast.
2. "Now we rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God -- all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done in dying for our sins -- making us friends of God." Rom. 5:11 (LB)Romans 11:6 NIV - 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer by works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
3. Outrageous Grace simply put: The bad get the best
a. Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
b. I John 4:10 - This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice (Payment) for our sins
c. The Call of Salvation is not “Come and get right so God will love you and bless you” The Call of Salvation is Come! You Are Loved! God loves imperfect people, moral misfits, and burned out believers!
a. Old Hebrew term – to stoop, to bend, condescending favor. The late Bible Scholar Donald Barnhouse said it best, “Love that goes upward is worship, love that does outward is affection, love that stoops is grace”.
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that changed the world
And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything
Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma
She travels outside of karma
When she goes to work
You can hear her strings
Grace finds beauty in everything
Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition
What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things
Grace makes beauty out of ugly things